Barbados Tourism Minister Richard Sealy Friday said he remains optimistic that the sewage problems affecting the island’s south coast will be rectified soon.
“I think that the team at the Barbados Water Authority (BWA) is actively dealing with that issue, and I have been assured that the course that they are on will bring relief to that entire situation in short order. Obviously, it is a situation that needs to be attended to and is being attended to urgently,” he said.
“Yesterday, I happened to be part of an exercise that allowed me to have been briefed on where we’re going on that. I am anxious to see it being brought to an end and of course, once the relief has come, we then have to decide on the long-term solutions going forward because we don’t want a recurrence,” Sealy added.
Earlier this week, the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) said it was running out of patience with the BWA over the ongoing sewage problem saying it was not enough for the authority to apologize as it did over the weekend to Barbadians.
BHTA chairman Roseanne Myers said what is needed was immediate action to flush out the problem once and for all.
Investigations conducted by the BWA and consultants from Trinidad and Tobago have shown that a breach in the south coast sewage network is responsible for overflows, which impacted businesses and residents in the area.
The BWA said it has been working assiduously to address the situation by flushing blocked lines, installing a sewage bypass and putting measures in place for the reactivation of the Lift Station on the outskirts of the capital, in order to facilitate the connection of the south coast sewage network to the one in the city.
According to BWA officials, connecting the two networks is expected to temporarily reduce the burden on the south coast sewage plant and allow them to repair the compromised lines