Sunday, May 27, 2018

Harvest going well

Harvest going well
18 Apr
2018

Farmers across the island have begun to collect outstanding monies on the 2016 installment of the cane planting incentive.

Word of this came from chairman of the Barbados Sugar Industries Limited, Mark Sealy.

He says the 2018 cane harvest is doing reasonably well despite a minor mechanical hiccup last week which affected operations for a couple of days.

However, Mr. Sealy says there is still some outstanding debt owed.

Meanwhile operations at the Portvale Sugar Factory are back up and running smoothly after a mechanical breakdown at the St James factory.

That's according to general manager of the Barbados Agricultural Management Company, Leslie Parris.

He tells CBC News the break down involved a valve at the factory but it was fixed in less than an hour.

Mr Parris says that has been the only real hitch so far for the crop which started on April 9th, about two months after it was initially projected to begin.

According to him, the farmers have been meeting their daily quotas, which are assigned based on the method of planting used.

The BAMC general manager says the delays have forced officials to reduce the expected output from the nearly 165 thousand tonnes of canes that were to be cut.

He says between 150 to 152 thousand tonnes canes are now a more realistic target and that should yield about 12 thousand tonnes of sugar.

Mr Parris warns however that figure could be slightly lower depending on the sucrose content of the canes being harvested.

Latest Articles

Most Read