Fast bowler Ronsford Beaton is now set to undergo an evaluation of his action after he was reported by umpires for a suspect bowling action during the ongoing Super50 Cup.
Guyanese Beaton, who is representing last year’s losing finalists, Guyana Jaguars, was reported during his side’s Group B contest against United States last Monday.
“CWI (Cricket West Indies) will now arrange for an independent assessment of the bowling action of the 27-year-old Beaton, but he is permitted to continue bowling until the results of the assessment are known,” CWI said in a statement late Monday.
“Video footage from the game will be sent to Loughborough University in the United Kingdom for an opinion report in accordance with the CWI Regulations for Dealing with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions.”
Beaton has had an ordinary campaign, taking just five wickets at an average of 39 runs apiece.
The controversy involving Beaton’s action is not the first. He was suspended from bowling by the International Cricket Council after being reported following a One-Day International against New Zealand two years ago.
He subsequently underwent remedial work on his action and was cleared by the ICC in August, 2018 to resume bowling, following an assessment at Loughborough University in England.
At the time, however, the ICC said: “Match officials are still at liberty to report Beaton if they believe he is displaying a suspect action and not reproducing the legal action from the assessment.”
Beaton has played just two ODIs, both coming on the 2017 tour of New Zealand.