The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that nine more persons have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the number of confirmed cases across the island, to 529.
This was disclosed by Health Minister Dr. Christopher Tufton, who said the new cases include six males recently repatriated from the United Kingdom, one from the Alorica call centre in the central parish of St Catherine, one male contact of the St Catherine cluster and one male from the Corporate Area, whose case is under investigation.
He said of the over 120 individuals who have come in from the UK, 12 cruise members have tested positive.
So far, 26 per cent of returning cruise ship workers have tested positive for the virus.
The health Minister added that 26 more patients have recovered from, the virus and there are currently no COVID-19 patients in intensive care units on the island, despite the number of positive cases.
Meanwhile, the government intends to enhance its monitoring of individuals under home quarantine with technological devices that can be affixed to the body.
Tufton, who was speaking a press conference on Wednesday, said although not yet available, the device is a more secure arrangement than current plans to use the JamCOVID19 smartphone app for monitoring.
The Government announced the use of the app for the monitoring of people in home quarantine as part of requirements for Jamaican cruise ship workers to disembark the Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas cruise ship, which arrived in the northern parish of Trelawny on Tuesday.
According to Tufton, those who test positive for the virus will be taken to a State quarantine facility and crew members
with negative results will be allowed to self-quarantine at home for 14 days from the day they disembark the vessel.
For home quarantine, individuals will be required to consent to have their location geofenced via the JamCOVID19 platform and to do video check-in multiple times daily.