It has begun. FIFA has eight days to acknowledge receipt, after being electronically served claim documents by attorneys acting on behalf of the ousted executives of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).
On Monday, ousted TTFA president William Wallace’s executive instructed their attorneys Dr Emir Crowne and Matthew Gayle to abandon a costly appeal to the international Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and instead turn attention to the T&T High Court. The Wallace-led executive is seeking to overturn FIFA’s decision to replace by instituting a Normalisation Committee to oversee the running of the Association until new elections can be held.
Replying to enquiries by the Trinidad Express, Gayle yesterday intimated that FIFA had been served. “We have, through our electronic systems, seen that they have received the document electronically,” said Gayle, adding, “But we have not yet received anything other than the automated acknowledgement of it.”
Through its attorneys, the disbanded TTFA executive are challenging their removal from office by the world football governing body. They are also seeking an injunction preventing FIFA or its Normalisation Committee from interfering with the day-to-day running of the Association. Gayle and Crowne are acting as advocate attorneys, while Crystal Paul and Jason Jones are instructing attorneys.
The legal battle between the TTFA and FIFA was registered as Claim no. CV 2020 in the Port of Spain High Court yesterday. The first step in the battle was getting court permission to serve the claim on FIFA.
“The rules of court requires that when a claim is to be served on a defendant, who is out of the jurisdiction, it requires that you get permission from the court setting out that certain pre-requisites have been satisfied,” Gayle explained.
“The same day that the matter was filed, we got permission to file out of the jurisdiction,” Gayle said, adding, “So we applied on the 18th (May), we got permission on the 18th, and we filed on the 19th.”