Barbados News Politics

BARJAM disappointed with debate withdrawals

The Barbados Association of Journalists and Media Workers has described the stance taken by two political parties on the planned political debates in the lead-up to the St. George North by-election as disappointing and unfortunate.

Tuesday, Democratic Labour Party President, Verla dePeiza said her party would not be participating, while Chairman of the United Progressive Party, Everton Holligan said his party has not yet decided.

In response, BARJAM President, Emmanuel Joseph, reveals that Ms. dePeiza would have raised her concerns about the topics during a Zoom meeting with other party representatives and media heads on Sunday evening.

According to Mr. Joseph, those concerns were addressed and there was no further indication from the DLP President that she disagreed with the conclusions.

BARJAM President, Emmanuel Joseph

Mr. Joseph says to date, the Barbados Labour Party, Solutions Barbados, the Bajan Free Party and the People’s Party for Democracy and Development have all confirmed their participation in the debates.

With four out of the six political parties on board, BARJAM will be moving ahead with the televised discussions.

However there will only be two, because logistics did not allow for a third as previously announced by Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley.

BARJAM President, Emmanuel Joseph

Six topics have been agreed on which will be specific to the constituency of St. George North…namely, the economy, representation, crime, pressing people’s matters, agriculture and housing.

CBC comments

Chief Executive Officer of the Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation, Sanka Price, has left the door open for the parties to participate, should they reconsider.

Chief Executive Officer of the Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation, Sanka Price

Leave a Reply




Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *