CMC – A massive police operation is still underway for a convicted mass murderer and death row inmate, Mark Royden Williams who escaped a maximum security prison located in Region Seven on the bank of the Essequibo River on Friday.
Speaking during a press conference on Saturday, Home Affairs Minister Robeson Benn told reporters that the general area has been isolated and is being combed by scores of joint services by land, river and air.
The police believe that Royden was shackled at the time of his escape, used a boat, and is believed to be aided by three accomplices who are all still likely in the area.
Benn said he is convinced that Williams and his accomplices are still in Guyana.
He also said that the boat used in the escape has since been recovered and the boat’s captain has been arrested.
The captain claims to have been forced and only managed to separate from the bandits following an engine failure.
According to the Security Minister, the government was upset that such a serious and unfortunate incident occurred, putting the safety of people at risk.
The convicted mass murderer escaped while being escorted back from a visit with the aid of heavily armed accomplices in a speedboat. The escort party was fired upon with AK-47 automatic rifles by men inside boat alongside the Mazaruni River.
Williams was convicted of murders stemming from the Bartica massacre in 2008, when he, along with other gunmen, ambushed and killed 12 persons, including three policemen.
Additionally, he had been sentenced to death in September last year over the killing on January 23rd, 2008, of Guyana Defence Force member Corporal Ivor Williams.
US repatriates Caribbean migrants
Biden, McCarthy rush to avoid default
Barbados Women are double champs