A flood warning is in effect for Barbados.
This alert is issued when rapid flooding due to heavy or excessive rainfall in a short period of time (generally less than 6 hours) is occurring or is imminent in the warning area.
Unstable conditions currently affecting Barbados are expected to generate maximum rainfall accumulations of 25.0 to 50.0 mm in moderate to heavy showers across some sections of the island throughout the day.
Residents and visitors should note that the following impacts are imminent during this forecast period :
- Significant runoff from higher elevations.
- Significant soil erosion is likely on exposed or scarred land surfaces.
- Large water settlements on roads and fields.
- Significant adjustments to water levels of existing water bodies (ponds etc.).
- Significant delays on traffic routes with some roads possibly impassable.
- Large objects or debris from higher elevations may also become embedded within fast-moving water flows.
- Significant flooding at the foot of hillsides and coastal roads is possible.
This alert message is valid from 10:45 am today, Tuesday, December 13, 2022 and will be terminated at 6:00 pm or sooner if conditions warrant.