Investigations continuing into daring Piarco airport robbery

Investigations continuing into daring Piarco airport robbery
07 Dec

Investigations are continuing into Wednesday’s multi-million dollar robbery that took place at the Piarco International Airport.

The police report that they have been questioning several people in connection with the incident that led to TT$5.5 million being stolen as it was being transfered from a security vehicle to onto a plane.

The police say four men with high powered rifles and dressed in army fatigue, struck shortly before midday  at the cargo loading area

Police said on hearing of the robbery, officers of the Central Division conducted road blocks but were unable to apprehend the culprits.

Police said it appeared the culprits had some knowledge of the security mechanisms in place for the cash cargo that was destined for First Citizens Bank (FCB) in Tobago.

A media release from the Airports Authority of T&T Wednesday confirmed the robbery, adding officials were working with police to solve the crime.

In a release FCB head of Brand and Marketing Larry Olton confirmed the the incident.

Meanwhile, First Citizens Group CEO Karen Darbasie said: “The incidences of crime appears to be on the rise, and has indeed reached alarming levels. Too often now we are seeing what appears to be planned and organised criminal activity, targeting businesses, including banks. This last incident seems to be no exception. This calls for greater vigilance on the part of businesses, the TTPS and all stakeholders, and First Citizens is taking further steps to ensure the safety of our people, our customers and their assets, under the circumstances and in this current environment.”

She added that First Citizens officials are assisting police with their investigations.

This was the second high profile multi-million robbery targeting bank money in recent years.

On November 27, 2013, a van was robbed of TT$17 million and US$150,000, representing money from several banks, as it was being transported along the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway to the airport early that morning for a flight to Tobago.

During that attack, 59-year-old veteran security officer Bert Clarke was murdered. His death and the robbery remains unsolved to date.

Latest Articles

Most Read