Officials of the State owned Transport Board are to meet with a delegation from the Barbados Workers Union today, Friday, to discuss proposed restructuring of the entity under the BERT programme.
CBC News understands Prime Minister, Mia Amor Mottley, is also expected to attend.
Officials say the meeting will likely begin around 10 this morning, and will seek to iron out a number of issues as the board prepares to lay off workers.
Sources tell CBC NEWS some of the people earmarked for retrenchment have opted for voluntary separation or early retirement.
Barbados Pride, replying to Leeward Islands Hurricanes’ 90 all out, reached 154 for four in their first innings at the close on the opening day of their rescheduled fourth round match in the Regional Four-Day Championship at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground here Thursday.
HURRICANES 90 (Montcin Hodge 24; Keon Harding 5-29, Miguel Cummins 3-34)
PRIDE 154 for four (Shamarh Brooks 79 not out, Shane Dowrich 28 not out; Rahkeem Cornwall 2-58)
Thirty eight overs was all it took for Leeward Islands Hurricanes’ already slim chances of winning the Regional Four-Day Championship to vanish completely.
Starting their rescheduled fourth round match against Barbados Pride 23 points behind leaders Guyana Jaguars in second and needing every available batting and bowling point in order to top the standings, the hosts were bundled out for 90 in their first innings.
Their batting demise confirmed Jaguars as champions for a fifth straight season, with Leon Johnson’s side now holding an unassailable lead with 154.2 points, following the completion of their complement of matches last weekend.
For Hurricanes, opener Montin Hodge was the only batsman to pass 20 with 24 as fast bowler Keon Harding ripped through the innings with five for 29, to record his second five-wicket haul in his 10th first class outing.
Test seamer Miguel Cummins supported with three for 24 while Jamaican pacer Marquino Mindley picked up two for 19.
In reply, captain Shamarh Brooks stroked an unbeaten 79 as Pride finished on 154 for four to finish the day with a 64-run lead.
Their highly-regarded top order failed to leave Barbados on 92 for four but Brooks and Test wicketkeeper Shane Dowrich, on 28 not out, have so far posted 62 in an unbroken fifth wicket stand.
Brooks, without a century this season, has faced 144 balls and struck 11 fours.
Hurricanes had earlier lost Keacy Carty to the first ball of the encounter at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, caught at slip by Jonathan Carter off Cummins, and never really recovered.
There was no sign of the pending collapse when Hodge and Devon Thomas (11) put on 36 for the second wicket – the highest stand of the innings – but once Harding had Thomas caught at backward square, Hurricanes slipped into terminal decline.
Barbados is fully open for business!
This clear message came from Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley on Wednesday evening, as she delivered remarks at the groundbreaking ceremony for Kooyman Barbados, at its construction site at Kendal Hill, Christ Church.
Ms. Mottley said Barbados had not yet reached the level it wanted to be at, but was certainly on the right road. “That right road means attracting persons, both domestically and from outside, to invest because they believe that investment will attract the return and that return on investment will come because of the country’s political, economic and social stability combined to create the platform for growth.
“The restructuring of an economy and stopping the bleeding is not an easy thing…. We have been able, in the space of nine months, not to do everything that has to be done. We started the process such that people who are watching on see us on the right road, and recognize that if we continue on this road we shall reach our destination,” she stated.
The Prime Minister contended that no investor would invest the sum of money Kooyman was spending here unless he had confidence in the country and its future.
She said investments such as the Kooyman Megastore and Ross University were some of the counterbalances government wanted to see more of, as the country currently undergoes an IMF programme and an economic recovery and transformation programme.
“Almost a lot of the smaller investments that are taking place in the country don’t necessarily reach the newspaper, but if you look around the country and look at the Town Planning applications and the approvals, you begin to see…that both Barbadians and foreigners believe that we can do it,” she stated.
Ms. Mottley pointed out that in the past, government played a role by fueling capital projects on its own, but that now had to be balanced by private sector activity. She noted that the private sector was not only driven by foreign capital, but it also had to be driven by local capital.
“There is excess liquidity in this economy, and next Wednesday [Budget Day] when I speak to you, I hope to speak at length about where we are going and what are the other things we want to energize in order to ensure Barbadians can use their own savings to help transform this country, and to fuel the level of capital projects that are necessary, not only to create the jobs, but to earn and to save…foreign exchange, but above all else, improve quality of life,” she said.
Chief Executive Officer of Kooyman Holding International BV, Herbert van der Woude, said Barbados is the first market the company has entered outside its home markets in the Dutch Caribbean.
Mr. van der Woude continued: “Despite the current economic downturn, we think Barbados has a good investment climate in the long term – political stability and steady yearly GDP growth perspectives….
“Barbados has solid institutions, including an independent judicial system, a well-educated population, fair trade regulation and a high ranking on the Transparency International anti-corruption list.”
The store is expected to open its doors here during the first quarter of 2020, and employ between 100 and 120 people.
Kooyman is a chain of six hardware megastores originating from the Dutch Caribbean island of Curacao.
It operates in four Dutch Caribbean islands, and is known for its innovative dual tracks. In addition to a retail store, where consumers can make their purchases, there will be a “drive-thru”, where customers can drive in with their vehicle, load the items they want to purchase and then drive to the check register.
The national airline of Trinidad and Tobago – Caribbean Airlines (CAL) says it will not acquire the Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft if it is found that it does not meet required safety standards.
The airline in a statement on Thursday said it does not fly the Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft and “will not, and in fact cannot, introduce any aircraft into its fleet that does not meet the most stringent international and domestic regulations.”
The airline said if the Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft fails to meet any of the very stringent requirements, it will not be added to the fleet.”
According to CAL, its international aviation consultants, attorneys, and management are closely monitoring the situation, and will take all required steps to continue to safeguard the airline, its customers and staff.
“Caribbean Airlines is doing all that it reasonably can, to accommodate on its aircraft, those passengers of other air carriers who may be affected by the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX-8.”
The airline also sought to assure the public of it’s saftey record, adding that this is “due in no small part to the use of very reliable equipment, an extremely well trained team, and a first class Maintenance and Engineering department.”
The statement follows mounting concern about the safety of the Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft in the aftermath of Sunday’s Ethiopian Airways crash in which all 157 passengers were killed.
Boeing has since grounded its entire global fleet of 737 Max aircraft after investigators uncovered new evidence at the scene of the fatal Ethiopian Airlines crash.
The Allen Chastanet-led administration says it is listening to the concerns of public officers as pressure mounts from several unions over the slow pace of salary negotiations for the 2016-2019 period.
According to a statement from the office of the Prime Minister released late Wednesday, the delay in recommemcing the talks has ignited disruptions in the public service with teachers and students staying away from school on Monday and Tuesday.
It added that firefighters informed the government that they were taking industrial action from Wednesday if issues confronting them, including salary negotiations, are not addressed.
Senior Communication Officer in the Office of the Prime Minister, Nicole McDonald, said the government is giving public officers its ears, focusing on the education sector.
“I want to say too that the government of St Lucia places emphasis on our education sector and ensuring that, we create better conditions for our students and for our teachers as well.”
She said last year the government allocated over EC$10-million towards the rehabilitation of schools across the island.
“And we saw a lot of schools benefiting, especially in the south of the island from having their roofs replaced, from having termites removed even from new furniture.”
McDonald said in the next budget cycle there will be more investment in creating better working conditions in schools, adding that the government was able to “manage the situation” caused by the disruptions.
“But overall, we have been able to manage the services that we deliver to the public,” she said.
Meanwhile, trade unions are encouraging their members not to back down and to keep the pressure up.
“I encourage you to stay steadfast with your union, steadfast with the movement, steadfast with the TUF (Trade Union Federation), so that we can make this work for all of us,” Cyprian Montrope, president of the Civil Service Association (CSA), told members. “And I expect at the end of the day, if we mind together and we work together we will get the outcome that we so deserve.”
The negotiating period for the period 2016 to 2019 are due to resume Thursday, with spokesman for the government’s negotiating team saying that the various unions have made themselves available for the resumption of wage talks.
The Prince of Wales will be visiting Parliament, National Heroes Square and the Nidhe Israel Synagogue in Bridgetown, on Tuesday, March 19.
As a result, the following roads will be closed to vehicular traffic between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.: Wharf Road, Broad Street, High Street, Marhill Street and Palmetto Street.
In addition, vehicular traffic will not be allowed to travel from Fairchild Street on to the Charles Duncan O’Neal Bridge.
There will be no parking along the following roads in Bridgetown: Fairchild Street, the Charles Duncan O’Neal Bridge, Bridge Street, St. Michael Row, Broad Street, Trafalgar Street, Belmont Road, Prince Alfred Street, Shepherd Street, Liverpool Lane, Philadelphia Lane, Higgonson Lane and McGregor Street.
All drivers, riders of vehicles, and pedestrians using any of the roads are asked to exercise caution, and should comply with any order given by a member of the Royal Barbados Police Force (RBPF) in uniform.
Any person who fails to comply with any order given by a member of the RBPF in uniform is guilty of an offence, and is liable on summary conviction to a fine of $500.00, or to imprisonment for a term of three months, or both.
Artistes, promoters and practitioners in the creative sector have been given the assurance that they can benefit from funding available under the Trust Loan Fund.
Minister of Small Business, Entrepreneurship and Commerce, Dwight Sutherland, disclosed this on Wednesday night, during the launch of the Yello International Bashment Soca Monarch Competition & Beach Party 2019 at Régne Lounge, upstairs KFC Warrens, St. Michael.
“My ministry, through the Trust Loan Fund, will continue to make funding available of up to $5,000.00 to national artistes and promoters in preparation for their shows; [to] stall-owners and other entrepreneurs so as to purchase their goods and services to attract greater amounts of business as they seek to catapult their service offerings to both the national and international stage,” Mr. Sutherland said, to a resounding round of applause.
He continued: “It is in this regard that I readily recognize that accessing this loan facility has not been as fast-paced as envisaged, but I also assure you that every effort will be made to ensure that going forward, successful applicants will be treated in a more timely and expeditious manner.”
The Small Business Minister urged the audience, which comprised several Bashment Soca artistes, to take their business” seriously. He pointed out that the global entertainment industry and media market was anticipated to grow to approximately US$2.2 trillion by 2021.
“It is therefore important that the creative sector understands and takes the “business of business” seriously, in order to position itself to seize the many opportunities that are at our grasp when by practice and desire we demonstrate that risk-aversion is not a trait that we will accede to anymore.
“In this era of extraordinary change and globalization, it must be recognized that creativity and innovation are now driving the new global economy. Economic regions and even organizations like the Yello Media Group and 4D Entertainment Inc. that embrace creativity, have therefore positioned themselves to generate significantly higher levels of revenue as well as to provide greater stability into the future,” he stated.
Mr. Sutherland lauded Yello Media Group and 4D Entertainment Inc. for continuing to stage the International Bashment Soca Monarch Competition. He also wished the participating artistes success, and encouraged them to “pay intimate focus to the business of business”.
Representative for 4D Entertainment Inc., Michelle Straughn, said that this year’s International Bashment Soca Monarch Competition will climax with a beach party.
The event, which will be held on Saturday, July 6, at Pirates Cove, is open to artistes anywhere in the world singing Bashment Soca, or a 50 per cent Bashment Soca fusion.
For the first time, the competition will move away from a “winner takes all” prize strategy. The winner will receive BDS$60,000, while those placing second and third will receive BDS$15,000 and BDS$5,000, respectively. The remaining nine finalists will also receive an appearance fee.
Age 81, affectionately known as “Jo-furts”, of Sutherland Hill St. Lucy.
Son of the late Sylvia Griffith and Darlington Broomes.
Father of Samuel Graham.
Brother of Rev. Haynesley Griffith, Lee-Onie, David and Vanroy Griffith, Coreen Cyrus, Vadmay Johnson, Joycelyn Yarde, Velma Elie, David and Sherwood Broomes.
Uncle of Liana Griffith, Charlene Farley, Michelle Boyce, Sherry-Ann Foster, Angeline Cyrus, Natalie Rock, Chris, Cliff and Max Chandler and sixteen others.
Cousin of Many.
Relative of the Griffith, Broomes, Graham, Husbands and Austin families.
Friend of Emmerson Corbin.
A Service of Thanksgiving celebrating the life of Wendel Everett Graham will take place on Monday March 18th, 2019 at 3:45 p.m. at St. Lucy Parish Church, Fairfield, St. Lucy, where relatives and friends are asked to meet, followed by the interment in the churchyard.
The Organist and Members of the Choir are asked to attend.
Flowers may be delivered to St. George's Home for Funerals no later than 11:00 a.m. on Monday.
Viewing takes place at 2:45 p.m. until the start of the Service at the Church.
Funeral arrangements entrusted to St. George’s Home for Funerals.
Age 79, of 217 Sago Close, Palm Spring, Fortesque, St. Philip. Formerly of Parish Land, St. George and London, England.
Wife of Samuel Emmanuel Williams.
Daughter of the late Fitz Darlington Sealy and Muriel Sealy.
Step-daughter of Edlyn Sealy.
Mother of Trevor, Glendon, Jimmy and Denys Williams and Samantha Weekes. Grandmother of Irene, Connor and Joshua Williams, Ashley Innis-Williams, Danielle Samuel and Jasmin Howard.
Great-grandmother of Adora, Andrea, Arianna and Ariella Williams and O’Shea Walshe. Sister of Cynthia Marshall, Henzell and Terrence Sealy and Pruenella King.
Aunt of Sonja Richards, Rodney, Martin, Deighton and Cathy-Ann Marshall, Christopher and Triston Sealy, Deryck and Cheryl Alleyne, Ryan Harper, Marlon Harris, Ruth King and Elizabeth King-Yearwood.
Mother-in-law of Lydia, Nicky and Linda Williams and Clifford Weekes.
Sister-in-law of Clyde Marshall, Regina and Sandra Sealy and Michael King.
Relative of Clovine Neblett, the O’Neal, Padmore, and Sealy families.
Friend of many.
The funeral of Myrna Loretta Williams leaves Waithe’s Funeral Home, Greens, St. George on Wednesday, 20th March 2019 at 11:30 a.m. for the Calvary Temple Community Church Grove, Six Roads, St. Philip, where relatives and friends are asked to meet at 1:00 p.m. for the service. The cortege will then proceed to Coral Ridge Memorial Gardens, the Ridge, Christ Church for the interment.
The organist is asked to attend.
Floral tributes can be sent to Waithe’s Funeral Home not later than 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday.