High-level Cricket West Indies officials will hold talks with stakeholders in Guyana over the next few days, aimed at starting to address the governance crisis afflicting the Guyana Cricket Board.
CWI president Ricky Skerritt and chief executive officer, Jonny Grave, will discuss the matter with cricket administrators and government officials, as well as examine India’s planned tour of the Caribbean starting in August.
The move is part of a wider plan by CWI to strengthen governance at the local level, in keeping with Skerritt’s Cricket First Plan which he campaigned on during his recent bid for the presidency.
“This initial short visit will focus on discussions related to the hosting of India matches during the upcoming home series in August, but it will also hopefully give me a more detailed introduction to the legal and administrative issues that are currently prevailing in Guyana,” he said.
“Guyana has produced some of the best players in the world and CWI wants its rich legacy to continue to be built on.”
The GCB has been embroiled in controversy for nearly a decade now. Elections have not been held since 2012 and only last month, the High Court here ruled the GCB executive invalid.
Skerritt last month described the Guyana cricket situation as “troubling” and “riddled with uncertainty”, but pledged CWI’s supporting in helping to rectify the matter.
Captain Jason Holder says the new World Cup format means teams will have to work harder to win the competition but says West Indies have fully embraced the changes and believes their chances are as good as any other side.
For the first time in nearly three decades, each of the 10 teams will play each other in a round-robin preliminary round format, with the four top teams qualifying for the semi-finals.
“You only had five or six games previously, with a few more if you made the knockout stages so it’s exciting to play every other team this time,” Holder said Thursday at an ICC event .
“You’ll have to work hard to win the World Cup by playing every other team – it’s the top ten in world but you want to play all the other nine to give yourself a chance.
“We’re taking it one game at a time – it’s a pretty level playing field and cricket is a game played on the day. Everyone is up to the task and knows what standard the competition is, so it comes down to who plays better on the day.”
West Indies are currently in a camp in Southampton and travel to Bristol shortly where they take on South Africa on Sunday in their first official warm-up match before clashing with New Zealand at the same venue two day later.
The Caribbean side have stern tests in their two opening encounters when they face Pakistan in their first match next week Friday in Nottingham before clashing with world champions Australia on June 6 at the same venue.
And Holder said that would be his side’s focus in coming days as they put the finishing touches on their preparation.
“When the schedule came out, we didn’t look for one fixture in particular – we just looked at the first half of our schedule and turned our focus to the first few games,” he said.
West Indies are considered one of the outsiders in the May 31 to July 14 showpiece. They are ranked number eight in the world and are without a series win in five years, since they beat Bangladesh in the Caribbean in 2014.
Last year in bilateral series, they won just three of 11 ODIs and in 2017, also managed just three victories in 22 outings.
However, their 2-2 draw in the five-match home series against England earlier this year has offered hope of a turnaround in fortunes, and Holder said the squad was upbeat over the World Cup challenge ahead.
“We’re all excited for this tournament and we want it to start tomorrow. I’m pretty happy with my squad as a whole, so hopefully we can play well and enjoy ourselves.”
Over a hundred local entrepreneurs are set to reap major benefits from their regional and international counterparts over the next two days.
This comes as many of them attend the fourth annual Entrepreneurial Network Caribbean Start Up Summit which started this morning at the Limegrove Lifestyle Centre.
Entrepreneurship minister, Dwight Sutherland has hailed the event as beneficial and in alignment with government's goals of promoting self employment.
He also believes it allows entrepreneurs to embrace new perspectives.
A senior official of the Barbados Defence Force (BDF) goes on trial next week, charged with two counts of communicating with the enemy.
The BDF said that it will convene its second Court Martial on Monday, May 27, and that the accused, Lieutenant David Harewood of the Coast Guard is facing a number of charges including communicating with the enemy.
The BDF gave no details as when the incident occurred or which “enemy” the senior military official had communicated with, adding that he had also been charged with “one count of conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline…and one count of neglect to the prejudice of good order and military discipline”.
The BDF said that the media and at least 20 members of the public would be allowed to attend the Court Martial hearing to be held at its headquarters at the Garrison on the outskirts of the capital.
The Grenada police Friday said they had launched an investigation into the circumstances that resulted in a Venezuelan national who had been rescued at sea fleeing a public hospital where he had been taken for medical treatment last week.
Police said last Friday they had received a call from the crew of a vessel travelling from Trinidad and Tobago to St. Lucia,” in which it was reported that a man was rescued from the sea, in the waters between Trinidad and Grenada.
“In accordance with the humanitarian provisions of international conventions governing the rescue of distressed persons at sea, priority was given to providing medical treatment for the rescued man, who was determined to be in need of urgent medical attention,” the police said in a statement.
It said that the unidentified Venezuelan national was “therefore taken to the General Hospital in Grenada for medical car” but that while the man was receiving medical attention he “left the hospital without the authorisation of the relevant authority”.
The police statement gave no indication as to his whereabouts but added that law enforcement authorities would be updating the public on the conclusion of the investigation.
Earlier this week, the Trinidad and Tobago government said while its Coast Guard remains ready to assist, it is still seeking to establish whether or not several Venezuelan nationals had drowned last weekend when they attempted to leave the South American country for this country.
National Security Minister Stuart Young, told the Senate that there have been ‘conflicting reports surrounding this alleged incident in which a boat named “Ana Maria” with several Venezuelans ‘may have capsized leading to the drowning of several passengers”.
“All that has been verified at this stage is that a person who appears to be a citizen of Venezuela was picked up by a private marine vessel on its way to Grenada. That person was then taken to Grenada by the persons on the private marine vessel”
Young said that to date there are reports that the vessel had emanated from two areas, but the authorities who have been conducting searches have found nothing.
Media reports here had said that the vessel travelling from Guiria to Trinidad, reportedly overturned near Dragon’s Mouth, the same location as where a vessel carrying many Venezuelans from the economic and political chaos in their country, went down last month.
Venezuelans, who were awaiting the arrival of the vessel, said that the incident occurred last Thursday and that the boat was due to have arrived here that night.
Hundreds of Venezuelans have been fleeing their country for Trinidad and Tobago in a bid to escape the political situation where the United States and its allies are backing opposition forces seeking the removal of President Nicolas Maduro from office.
Caribbean Community (CARICOM) education ministers meet in Barbados next week where issues relating to the examinations set by the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) will be discussed.
Information Minister Melford Nicholas, speaking at the end of the weekly cabinet meeting here, noted that the reputation of the Barbados-based CXC could be affected following
“The CXC over its life, has achieved a certain degree of acceptance as an entry point for universities across the globe. So this particular issue is troublesome in the sense that if we….from across CARICOM, do not handle it correctly, it could do some harm to the reputation of the CXC process itself. So they have got to deal with that
The Cabinet statement said that questions concerning the open-book mathematics CXC exam which was initiated by invigilators in Trinidad, though the exam was to have been without materials, will be discussed.
The statement noted that the CXC has been invited to meet with the educator ministers during the meeting.
Hundreds of people across the region have signed a petition calling for the 2019 CSEC Mathematics exam to be redone, in light of a breach in security in Trinidad and Tobago.
The petition comes after CXC issued a statement advising that it had launched an investigation into the cheating incident.
Three invigilators have since been fired following the circulation of a video on social media showing students at a certain secondary school on their phones during the CSEC math exam.
The petition noted that it would be unfair if only certain students were allowed to resit the exam.
“It would be unfair if these students are allowed a free pass, and equally unfair if only selected schools/students are allowed to re-sit a supplementary exam. The extent to which exams could have been scanned and shared, not only nationally, but regionally is unfathomable. Students could have been privy to the exam questions earlier than the start time and they could have sent these images on social media to their counterparts in other schools across the country and region. The invigilator also could have further compromised the situation by sharing the exam with other invigilators,” the petition stated.
Nicholas said if the re-sit of the exams is required to protect the CXC’s reputation and credibility, then the regional examination body should consider such a proposal.
“And whatever they make a determination in terms of the outcome and if part of the curing system means the exam will have to be re-done I guess we will all have to address our minds to it.
“I think they will have to consider all those issues,” he added.
The Cabinet statement also noted that the Barbados meeting will also discuss the report on the Fourth landed campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI).
Antigua and Barbuda is pushing for the campus to be located here and Prime Minister Gaston Browne has already accused some regional countries of engaging in “petty jealousy” regarding the attempts to derail the matter.
The statement said that Attorney General Steadroy Benjamin will be among the two-man delegation to the Barbados meeting next week.
Jamaica, which is facing a severe drought, is expected to get some relief over the next three days as a trough is expected ti linger across the island.
The Meteorological Service of Jamaica (MSJ) in a bulletin said that the trough is also expected to affect the central Caribbean.
“The trough is expected to linger across the island over the next three days,” it said, adding that during the afternoon the island will experience “scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms mainly across sections of central and western parishes and hilly inland areas elsewhere”.
According to the MSJ, on Saturday, Jamaica will experience isolated showers over the eastern parishes as well as scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms across sections of most parishes.
On Sunday the scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms will be mainly across central and western parishes while on Monday, a partly cloudy morning will give way to widely scattered afternoon showers and isolated thunderstorms across sections of most parishes.
Earlier this week, Jamaicans were warned they could face possible prison terms as the National Water Commission (NWC) issued a prohibition order making it a prosecutable offence to waste water or use excessive amounts of potable water for non-essential purposes.
Jamaica, like several other Caribbean countries, is facing a severe drought situation and the NWC said that the prohibition order, which goes into effect on Friday, is aimed at dealing with the worsening water situation.
The NWC said that as a result of the worsening drought situation, customers in several communities will continue to experience intermittent supply, low water pressure or no water.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness said following consultation on the “floor of Parliament” this week “ I am able to further announce that the Government will allocate J$25 million more to address water issues in the parishes affected by the drought.
“This means $J125 million will now be available,” he said, acknowledging that “the island continues to experience serious drought conditions in many areas”.
Minister of Creative Economy, Culture and Sports, John King, would like to see all government offices purchase a piece of locally made craft.
He made this assertion recently at the opening of an Organization of American States-sponsored workshop entitled: The Potential of the Caribbean Heritage Network for Strengthening a Sustainable Regional Craft Sector held at Courtyard by Marriott, Garrison Historic Area, Hastings, Christ Church.
Mr. King pledged support for the local craft industry, stating: “During my first year as a Minister, I became painfully aware of the challenges facing our cultural sector such as limited funding, a lack of support and developmental training, limited or no access to markets, issues of distribution, limited promotion and marketing, the high cost of production…and I am very aware that the situation is similar in many of the Caribbean countries.
“The rebuilding of Barbados’ craft sector is a priority for the Government of Barbados. We are going to ensure that the craft sector is valued as an important contributor to the GDP, as a key feature of the tourism sector and not as part of the informal sector.”
Pointing to the fact that the sector has potential for economic growth and social stability, he submitted that it was one that the region could ill afford to lose.
He praised the National Cultural Foundation for its initiative over the last couple of months of coordinating a number of pop up exhibitions around Barbados.
Mr. King also shared that the upcoming Crop Over Art Exhibition was expected to further raise the profile of the art and craft sector.
The workshop brought together policymakers and crafts persons from across the region who are expected to discuss issues pertaining to the craft sector as well as ways to improve visibility in the local, regional and international market space.
One of the main objectives of the workshop is to share best practices and utilize the newly-established Caribbean Heritage Network, based at the University of the West Indies, to share best practices, and network with suppliers and artists to market their products and services.
The Ministry of Innovation, Science and Smart Technology (MIST) and the Household Mitigation Unit are collaborating to ensure that retrenched workers are trained in digitization.
The training started on Monday, May 20, at MIST headquarters in Baobab Tower, Warrens, St. Michael, where the first 20 persons out of a pool of approximately 250 workers who indicated their interest, received the training.
Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Charley Browne, said the newly skilled individuals would be utilized to help carry out the digitization of records within the public service.
Additionally, Special Advisor on Poverty Alleviation and Sustainable Development Goals, Corey Lane, who collaborates with the Household Mitigation Unit, explained that the Unit was training only those retrenched workers from the 2018 retrenchment period.
He pointed out that some workers were retrenched in 2014 but that was “outside of the mandate of the Unit”.
He further stated that retrenched workers from 2018 who wanted to be trained in digitization but had not yet heard from officers from the Mitigation Unit, should contact the Unit at 832-0092 or 832-0093.
Mr. Lane urged the former public servants to ensure that the contact information they provided was accurate, as some of the details submitted were incorrect, inadequate or missing.
Age 44, of Fair View, Christ Church.
Son of Loreen Blackman and late Livingston Morris.
Brother of Anthony, Junior, Annette, Karen Blackman, Yvonne, Joan, Margaret, Robert 'Bobbie' Morris, Hilda and Aileen Morris and the late Hayden Blackman.
Nephew of Marna and Sandra Blackman and the late Andrew Thompson and Esther Blackman.
Uncle of Zico, Shaquille, Chris, Ann, Shakla Blackman, Shakira, Britney Cox and Avion Byer.
Relative of the Blackman, Morris and Thompson families.
Friend of many.
The funeral of Shawn Anderson Blackman leaves Keith Jones Funeral Home, Passage Road, St. Michael on Wednesday, May 29th, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. for St. Patrick's Anglican Church, St. Patricks, Christ Church, where relatives and friends are asked to meet at 4:00 p.m. for a Service of Thanksgiving for his life and works, followed by the interment in the churchyard.
The organist and members of the choir are asked to attend.
Floral tributes may be sent to Keith Jones Funeral Home no later than 1:45 p.m. on Wednesday, May 29th, 2019.
Viewing of the body takes place at Keith Jones Funeral Home from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 28, 2019.
Funeral arrangements are entrusted to Mark A. Jones Funeral Services.