Friday, Dec 14, 2018

Girl, 17, electrocuted after dropping smartphone in shower

Girl, 17, electrocuted after dropping smartphone in shower
20 Nov
2018

A 17-year-old girl died as she tried to check her smartphone while taking an evening shower and electrocuted herself.

Her mother found her collapsed in the bath tub and rushed to call an ambulance to their apartment in the port town of Outreau, in Pas-de-Calais, northern France.

But it was too late for the paramedics and doctors believe she suffered an instant heart attack when the current passed through her body.

The teenager was reportedly trying to check her phone as she showered while standing in the bath in the evening of November 13.

It was was plugged into the wall with an old charger with a faulty cable and any contact with water would have been extremely dangerous.

An autopsy is being held to confirm the cause of death.

The company which rents out the building, Pas-de-Calais Habitat, said the flat had received its annual maintenance check in June.

A company spokesperson said: 'The report of the provider said that a compliant electrical installation was being used.'

Amandine Faraud, a local electrician, told local media: 'If the phone falls into the water while plugged into a socket, there is a risk of electrocution.

'And if the cable was stripped, the current would go directly into the water.'

The make and model of the smartphone and charger have not been disclosed.

Latest Articles

Most Read