A Flood Watch is in effect for Barbados.
A Flood Watch is issued when conditions are favourable for flooding within the next 48 hours. It does not mean that flooding will occur, but it is possible.
The Barbados Meteorological Services says an upper-level diffluent pattern along with surface to low-level convergence is expected to generate pockets of moderate to heavy shower activity. Maximum rainfall accumulations of 20.0 to 40.0 mm in moderate to heavy showers are likely this afternoon and into tonight with activity likely to persist throughout the weekend.
The public is warned to be on the lookout for the following:
- Significant runoff from higher elevations
- Significant soil erosion on exposed or scarred land surfaces
- Large water settlements on roads and fields
- Significant adjustments to water levels of existing water bodies (ponds etc.)
- Significant delays on traffic routes with some roads possibly impassable
- Large objects or debris from higher elevations becoming embedded within fast moving water flows
- Significant flooding at the foot of hillsides and coastal roads
This alert will be updated at 6:00 p.m. today Friday, November 4th, 2022 or sooner if conditions warrant.