New curfew arrangements are in place and changes have been made to certain activities as health officials continue to grapple with increasing COVID-19 numbers.
The changes have also been made, according to Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley, to give health officials time try to drastically increase the island’s vaccination rate.
Ms. Mottley stressed the island is not going on lockdown, but the measures will be in place for the next two weeks in the first instance.
The Prime Minister made the announcements in an address to the nation this afternoon.
She said from this Saturday night, September 11th, the curfew will begin at 9:00 p.m., rather than 11:00 p.m. as before.
The Prime Minister stressed the adjustments will not stop people from working nor will they affect supermarkets in any meaningful way, and appealed to people not to rush these establishments.
She also outlined how restaurants and fast food entities will operate during the period.
She has also asked the fast food restaurants to use the adjusted operations, put in place last year when earlier restrictions were in place.
As it relates to churches, the Prime Minister says each one will have a specific plan, while warehouses and other buildings have been mandated to improve ventilation.
She says all contact and team sports are prohibited for the next two weeks.