A one year old and two adults have suffered severe burns in an early morning house fire in the City.
The fire was reported around 2:35 a.m. this morning, Saturday, July 10th and occurred at a residence in 1st Avenue Chapman Lane, St. Michael.
The adults have been identified as owner of the house 58 year old Janice Mitchell, and 40 year old Keisha Mitchell. The baby is Keisha’s daughter.
Police say a next door neighbour was alerted by the scent of smoke and on checking saw the house engulfed in flames. He alerted the entire district and broke down the front door to free the occupants, injuring himself in the process. He also used a water hose to extinguish the blaze. Several other residents rendered assistance until the fire tenders arrived.
The baby was transported to the QEH by private transport, while the other two victims were later extracted from the house and taken via two ambulances to the Hospital.
Two Fire tenders with 11 officers responded from the Headquarters at the Pine, St. Michael.
Investigations are ongoing.